5-7 pounds Boston Butt Pork Shoulder, No bone if possible
Large foil baking pan
You can do this recipe entirely out on the outside BBQ, but this is how I do it with a mixture of using the grill and oven.
Set BBQ grill to high and turn your oven on to 250 degrees
1) Prepare about 6 cups of your favorite BBQ sauce. Traditional St Louis steaks use a beer based sauce, but I prefer a Kansas City style sauce [see recipe on site here and double]
2) Cut the Pork Butt directly down the middle. Stand each half on the end you just cut and then slice down creating 1 inch steaks. It doesn't have to be pretty, but try to make them no more than an inch think.
3) Sprinkle all the steaks with freshly ground black pepper
4) Under high heat, grill the steaks so there are nice grill marks and charred. 5-6 minutes per side and don't worry about cooking them through as they'll have plenty of time to cook in the oven.
5) Place steaks in baking pan, pour bbq sauce on top and cover with tin foil. Put in oven for about 2-2 1/2 hours. Optionally, you can place back into the bbq with all the grill burners set to low.
Optionally, after the steaks are cooked you can remove from bbq sauce and do one last sear on the bbq.
I like to serve with cream mashed potatoes and homemade macaroni and cheese.
Note: The easiest place to find the Boston Pork Butt is BJs [Costco] type store.