Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
- 8 chicken cutlets
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2x 10 ounce cans of diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 2x 14.5 ounces canned stewed tomatoes
- 2x 10.75 ounces cream of chicken soup
- 32 ounces of chicken broth
- Pint of heavy cream
- 2 packages tortillas
- 4 cups shredded cheese
- 10 ounces enchilada sauce
- 1 bag frozen tater tots
Preparation1. Preheat oven to 350. Cook tater tots according to package directions.
2. On a large tray arrange chicken cutlets and season both sides with salt, pepper, cumin and paprika.
3. Heat evoo over medium heat in a dutch oven. Saute chicken until browned (doesn't need to be 100% cooked through, you're just looking for color). Remove chicken and saute yellow onion until lightly brown. Stir in all canned items plus chicken broth. Scrape the bottom of the pan to release any browned bits. Add back chicken. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, simmer for 20-30 minutes.
Variation 1: Put all ingredients in a slow cooker and simmer for 8 hours
Variation 2: Use rotisserie chicken.
4. Remove chicken and shred into large bowl when slightly cooled.
5. Combine shredded chicken with about 1/4 of the sauce. Enough to coat the chicken so that it's nice and moist. Line bottom of baking pan with about an inch or so of the sauce.
6. Heat heavy cream over low heat in large skillet, don't boil. Dip tortillas in cream to soften. Put 1/3 cup of chicken, mix with shredded cheese. Add 3-4 tater tots. Roll up seam side down, place in tray and drizzle with enchilada sauce. Cover with shredded cheese and bake uncovered for 25 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
View this recipe and more on DinWit.com