Arroz Con Pollo
- 1 Chorizo link, cubed
- 3 cups of medium grain rice (rinsed)
- 6 cups of water, seasoned with 2 chicken bouillon, 1 sazon, bay leaf, paprika, cumin, garlic powder
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers
- 1 onion, diced
- bunch of parsely, chopped (some stem ok)
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 can of pigeon peas, drained
- 1lb of chicken thighs or breasts, marinated with lemon juice, olive oil, salt pepper, garlic powder, paprika
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- Sauce: equal parts: fat free Greek yogurt, mayonnaise: +lemon juice, Cholula hot sauce
- Lemon wedges
PreparationIn a small pot, simmer 6 cups of water, chicken bouillon, 1 packet of Sazon seasing, bay leaf, paprika, cumin and garlic powder. When the chicken bouillon has disolved, taste for saltyness. Add salt to ensure the broth is flavored well which will be absorbed by the rice.
Saute chorizo in a dutch oven with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. When browned, removed and set aside.
Pat chicken dry and saute in same pot. Add more olive oil if need. Brown both sides, but it does not need to cook 100% through at this point. Set aside with chorizo.
Saute garlic for 30 seconds. Do not let burn. Add onions, red pepper and parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Saute until onion is softened.
Add tomato paste and mix with veg mixture. While that is cooking, cube chicken.
Add rinsed rice and coat with the veg/tomato paste mixture. The rice will turn slightly red now. Allow the rice to toast slightly.
Add broth (remove bay leaf), chicken, chorizo and pigeon peas to dutch oven. Lightly mix together to incorporate flavors.
Bring to near boil. Cover pot and reduce heat to LOW simmer for 25 minutes. Do not open lid to check. Do not stir.
Check rice for doneness or cook longer if needed. If rice is not cooked and there is no liquid, add about 1/4 cup and continue to cook. Let sit in covered pot for 10 minutes before serving.
Serve with lemon wedges, mayo sauce, chopped parsley and hot sauce.
View this recipe and more on DinWit.com